A well baked cake is the foundation for a well decorated cake.
Getting it right from the onset is key.
To ensure a well baked cake,
1) Ensure all utensils to be used and the cake pans are clean.
2) Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature. All items in the fridge/freezer should be brought out at least 2 hours before use.
3) Measure out all ingredients accurately. Use a digital scale where possible for precision.
4) Follow the recipe to the letter. Baking is a science and oncé instructions are adhered to, outcome becomes predictable and consistent.
5) Do not overmix else the cake will be dense and do not overbake else the cake will be dry. Keep to instructions.